Prevent Winter Fire Damage – Don’t Let Your Holidays Go Up in Flames
Deck Your Halls with Caution this Holiday Season
It’s the most disastrous time of year for families suffering fire damage this holiday season. According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated 210 home fires involving Christmas trees and another 150 home fires involving holiday lights and other decorative lighting occur each year. Take some simple steps this holiday season to keep the chestnuts roasting on an open fire and not your living room.
We have already had one Central Oregon Christmas Tree home fire already.
For artificial trees, make sure that they’re labeled and certified as fire retardant. For the all-natural trees, ensure that you keep them well-hydrated with a full water bowl at all times. Make sure you cut your live trees 1- to 2-inches from the base of the stump.
Place your tree away from heat sources and use appropriate lights with no wear, loose bulbs or fray cords. Promptly discard dry trees. Want further incentive? Watch this Christmas tree fire rage out of control in seconds – causing insane amounts of fire and smoke damage.
Inspect holiday lights for wear and tear, such as – frayed wires, bare spots, excessive kinking, lose bulbs or bad connections. Makes sure you connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging them in to an outlet. Never use candles to illuminate a tree or connect more than 3 strands of Christmas lights (or 50 bulbs). Always turn you lights off when you’re sleeping or not in the room.
Consider using battery-operated candles or high-efficiency LEDs instead of open flame candles. Make sure you have stable holders for candles in use and place them where they cannot be knocked down easily.
ServiceMaster Restore® is available 24/7/365 to assist your policyholders if they experience fire damage. We offer emergency services, quick response time and work with all major insurance companies.