Smoke and Ash Cleaning Do’s and Don’t Tips
Home fires are devastating events for families. Having served house fire victims in Bend, Oregon over the last 20 years, we know how even small fires can have a lasting, profound effect on families. The sooner you can get your home back to normal, the faster you can get your family back on track and past the event.
Here are some quick do-it-yourself style do’s and don’ts for fire and smoke damage.
Fire and Smoke Damage Do’s:
- Blow off or brush-vacuum loose soot particles from upholstery, drapes and carpets.
- Cover carpeted traffic areas with towels or old linens to prevent additional soiling.
- Discard open food packages and itemize for insurance purposes.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a professional restoration cleaner rather than a dry cleaning company. (odor can be difficult to remove without the proper equipment)
- Clean Formica and chrome fixtures in the kitchen and bathroom to prevent permanent tarnishing.
- Wipe Residue from porcelain bath fixtures to prevent etching.
- Tape cheesecloth (moist or damp cloth preferred) over intake and outlet air registers to capture any loose soot in the air.
- If electrical services are turned off, clean out freezers or refrigerators and leave doors propped open.
Fire and Smoke Damage Don’ts:
- Do not attempt to wash any papered or flat painted walls without consulting your professional cleaner. Incorrect cleaning procedures could compound the problem – resulting in a paint job where one could have been avoided.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Do not use electrical appliances that have been close to fire or water before checking them.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
- Do not touch anything – soot or oil residue from your hands can permanently stain surfaces or set permanent damage.
- Do not eat food that has been exposed to fire or smoke.
Get Expert Advice or a Free Estimate:
And perhaps more importantly, don’t wait to call for professional advice or help. As a service to our customers and the community, we will answer your questions or provide a free estimate to fire-damaged homes.
At ServiceMaster Recovery Specialists, we believe that what’s best for the customer is best for us. If we don’t need to perform your work – we will tell you. If you don’t have the time or confidence to do it yourself, we’re happy to help you in any way that we can.