When you return home from your holiday travels this winter, the last thing you want to find is Bend water damage. Avoid disruption to your life for Bend water damage restoration by taking a few steps before you leave on vacation to prevent damage to your home.
- Shut off the water main in your home and let the water run out. In the winter, pipes can burst as the water within them freezes and swells, cracking the pipe and leading to widespread Bend water damage. This is easily prevented by keeping the pipes clear of water.
- Be sure that all windows are shut, especially skylights, so no rain will get into your home.
- During cold winter months in Bend, turn the temperature on the thermostat to 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not shut of the heat, as maintaining some warmth is essential to prevent frozen pipes and keep mold at bay.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine well prior to departing. They should be completely finished before you leave, to protect against any damage resulting from malfunction.
- If you have a basement, test the sump pump before you leave so you can be confident that it is functioning properly.
If you do have water damage in your Bend home this holiday season, you can turn to ServiceMaster Recovery Specialists. We can help with every stage of your Bend water damage cleanup from the initial dry-out to reconstruction.